How to Make the Best of a Book Festival
by Deborah M. Thomas, Librarian at B.S. Ricks Memorial Library
For those of you who will attend the annual Mississippi Book Festival (or any book festival), here are a few tips to make your trip the best that it can be.
- Take a bag (for all the books you will purchase)
- Wear comfortable walking shoes
- Remember to take money for food and books
- Read the schedule ahead of time. (It is usually on the official MS Book Festival website.) Circle your favorite panels or lectures. Have a second concurrent choice, just in case your session is filled or canceled.
- Mississippi is hot in the month of August. Bring a hat, cap, visor, etc. to shield your eyes and head from the punishing sun as you mill around the outdoor pavilions.
- Take a notebook to jot down inspirational ideas or stories during a lecture.
- Arrive early. There are free parking spaces and shuttles. However, they might fill up fast.